CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 11, 2009

September 10 - Dinner - Cheesy Broccoli Chicken & Rice Casserole

This was one of my favorite meals as a kid. My mom used to make it all the time! But, since she's out of town, I had to figure out my own way of making it. After looking at several recipes, here's what I came up with. (Which, BTW, Will kept saying "this is sooooo good"!)

Cheesy Broccoli Chicken & Rice Casserole
2 cups minute rice (cooked according to package directions)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pound velveeta cheese (I only used about 2/3 of a block and it was still really cheesy)
1 (16 oz) package frozen chopped broccoli (or you can use fresh steamed broccoli)
1 cup milk
1-1/2 to 2 cups shredded or cubed chicken (I used the leftovers from my roasted chicken that I made Tuesday night)
French fried onions, bread crumbs, or crumbled crackers

Preheat oven to 350. In a large saucepan, combine soup, Velveeta and milk, until a creamy sauce forms and all Velveeta is melted (be careful not to have the stove on too high, or you will burn the cheese. I used medium heat.) Mix the broccoli and chicken into the sauce. Pour the cooked rice into a 2-quart (or whatever size you have) casserole dish. Mix the cheese/broccoli mixture in with the rice. Top with french fried onions (or whichever topping you decide to use). Bake about 1 hour (or until cheese mixture is boiling).

As I said before, Will & his mom raved on how good this is (Will usually eats everything, but only comments when it really is good!). Westley ate 3 adult size helpings!

**I know, I was supposed to make pork fried rice last night, but for some reason I had it stuck in my head that this was supposed to make this. So, look for Pork Fried Rice Tonight!**

Estimated Cost: About $6 for 6-8 servings

Enjoy!

Love,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment