CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 11, 2009

Homemade Chicken Broth

Ok. So normally, if I roast or buy a rotisserie chicken, I just throw away all the bones. This time, I knew that I would be needing chicken broth later in the month, so I decided to try making my own! Here's how I made it last night:

Homemade Chicken Broth
bones from 1 roaster chicken
tops of celery
onion slices
lime & lemon (from the inside of the chicken I roasted on Tuesday)
salt
pepper
any other flavorings you may want in your broth
6 cups of water

Place all ingredients in a large pot. Cover with water. Turn burner on high and bring water to a boil. Let it boil about 30 minutes. Turn heat down to low, and let it simmer for a few hours (I think mine simmered for at least 3. I lost track of time cooking dinner, feeding the kids, etc.)

Use a fine strainer to strain the bones and other stuff out of the broth, and pour it into a large bowl (or measuring cup). Store how you would normally store a liquid. I personally measured out 1 cup servings and poured them into ziplocs. Then, when it's time to use them, I will just drop the broth into whatever I'm cooking, or defrost it in a bowl of warm water.

Oh, and your home smells delicious while this is cooking!

Love,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment